by admin | July 22, 2017 3:15 pm
A grassroots community organization, the BRAT is focused on discovering, enjoying and taking care of the Black River in Windsor County, VT.
As a grassroots organization, Black River Action Team is responsible for:
– Annual RiverSweeps: Began in 2000 with 4 volunteers, covering 100? of river. Now dozens of volunteers covering miles of river across several towns
– Over 500 shopping carts, along with innumerable tires and other debris, removed from riverbeds
– Monthly water sampling at 14 sites and ?Adopt a Swimming Hole? program
– Environmental education and citizen science projects
– Recruited and managed over 300 volunteers
– Engaged students, adults, and families to address river issues and expand educational opportunities
– Discovered underground storage tank spewing fuel; worked with State to remove it and contaminated soil
– Worked with Town and Black River Produce to monitor effects of large diesel spill
– Stream monitoring in proposed development areas
– Ongoing force for bank stabilization and habitat improvement efforts post-Tropical Storm Irene
– Started a ?native nursery? on donated land, growing own plants for bank stabilization
– Cleans up at parades to prevent trash entering river
– Started program to capture and recycle waste fishing line at public recreation access point.
Source URL: http://yourplaceinvermont.com/directory/black-river-action-team/
Copyright ©2019 Okemo Valley Chamber, Vermont unless otherwise noted.