Reasons to Join
What does the Chamber do?
By Marji Graf, CEO
Okemo Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce
There are, in fact, a lot of misconceptions about the Chamber. For example, there are those who believe the Chamber gathers statistics, prints nice brochures, visits new businesses, answers inquiries and advertises what a great place the area is to work, live and play.
They are right, up to a point. We do all those things, and proudly so. All of those jobs are important. But they aren’t why the Chamber is here. They’re fringe benefits of the Chamber, the things we do as a matter of routine because they need doing and we are good at them.
The primary functions of the Chamber go far deeper than that. The Okemo Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce is a catalyst–a common vehicle through which businesses and professional people work together for the common good of the community. A better community means better business conditions, and we work for a better community for everyone. That’s why we do what we do. This brings us back to the original question: What do we do? There is, in the final analysis, one reason for the Chamber to exist. . . to do whatever is necessary to keep the area’s economic condition at a level where business will risk their resources here in hope of making a profit… everything else is just frosting on the cake….a means to the end.
In any community, it is from the profitable operations of business that all other benefits are derived. Only by succeeding in this fundamental goal can we provide the jobs and produce the wealth to finance the civic, educational, cultural and charitable needs that our community is faced with every day.
This means we must do the job needed.
That leaves one final question: Who is the “we” that does all this? We are you. The Chamber member and all of your business and professional friends who are also Chamber members.
You are the Chamber of Commerce. You provide the ideas, the drive, the goals, the funds and the voluntary services to keep the Chamber doing what it does. You are the Chamber, and–just who would do all those things if the Chamber didn’t?
We need the confidence that it can be done in our community, state and nation. We need to be available to do it, and if we can, and if we do, we will be accountable to the coming generations who will be the true judges of what we do today.
Thank you for allowing us to bring business and community together for our common good.
What the Okemo Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce offers member businesses:
Our Chamber serves the Towns in South Central Vermont. Andover, Cavendish/Proctorsville, Chester, Cuttingsville/Shrewsbury, Grafton, Londonderry, Ludlow, Mount Holly/Belmont, Plymouth, Weathersfield and Weston as well as the surrounding communities.
- Free listing on our website.
- Free listing in our annual regional guidebook (May 2018-May 2019) Option to purchase ads.
- Free placement of your brochures in our welcome kiosks in Ludlow, Chester, Weston & Londonderry.
- Marketing and promotion of your business.
- Events publicized on our Statewide Calendar.
- Story ideas submitted to the media.
- We blog your stories and accomplishments on our website.
- Free help wanted postings on our website.
- Free ribbon cutting.
- Free monthly chamber mixers (2nd Wed. of the month from 5:30-7:30pm).
- Free educational programs (Members teaching members).
- Referrals and personal introductions.
- Member to member discounts (this benefit alone will pay for your chamber membership).
- Insurance savings: Dental, Accident-life, Vision, 401K Plan Benefit
- Co-op Advertising opportunities
- Yankee Magazine,
- Vermont Vacation Guides,
- Madden story program,
- E-Commerce Marketplace. Watch video here
- The opportunity to participate in:
- Chrome & Craft Festival 8.18.18
- Golf Tournament held 9.11.18
- Big E September 2018
- Your products displayed in our case twice a year at the Guilford & Fair Haven Welcome Centers
** Other member benefits include for you AND your employees:
- Free Chamber Day at Okemo Mountain Resort Adventure Zone in July
- Chamber night at the Weston Playhouse (discounted tickets) in August
- Free fall foliage train ride from Chester-Ludlow-Chester for members and their families in September
- Discounted Okemo ski season passes for members and their employees
- Awesome Graphics wants to offer new chamber members (1) Set of 500 Full color double sided business cards on 16 pt stock – glossy or matte finish
New chamber members also receive the following savings on newspaper ads:
- Common News – New Chamber members can purchase 3 2×2 business card size ads (in color or black and white) at our weekly rate and get a 4th ad for free. This is an introductory one time offer for new members. Friday is the deadline for the following Wednesday.
- Message for the Week – Buy two 1/8th page ads at the regular price, get 2 free, for new chamber members who have not been an advertiser in the Message in the last 6 months. Call 802-875-4790.
- The Vermont Journal – New chamber members will receive 2 free business card ads.
Criteria for Membership
In order to be considered for membership in the Okemo Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce, a person or business must maintain a professional license or be registered with the Vermont Secretary of State, and/or have a Federal Taxpayer ID. The business must support the Chamber, embody the spirit of the Chamber’s Mission Statement, and demonstrate a desire to promote and support the activities of the Chamber.
Chamber Mission Statement
The Okemo Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce (OVRCC) is a not-for-profit, member-driven organization. It is the voice of its members and the business communities in South Central Vermont. We provide advocacy, support, and unified regional marketing, to promote and enhance our regional businesses and four-season economy.
Determined by # of people who work in the business.
Full time staff: Any person who works substantially full time (including owners).
Seasonal or Part Time Workers: Counted as 1/3 of a full time staff person.
Step #1: Determine Adjusted Staff (Owners Included):
Full Time =
Part Time (divide by 3, round down) =
Adjusted Staff Number (add 2 numbers above) =
Step #2: Find your Annual Share Dues: (Based on Adjusted Staff):
1 & 2 adjusted staff: $278 3 adjusted staff: $314
4 adjusted staff: $350 5 & 6 adjusted staff: $443
7 & 8 adjusted staff: $463 9 & 10 adjusted staff: $494
11 or more adjusted staff: $494, plus $8 per adjusted staff over 11
Non-Profit Rate: $149